September Soups: Mexican Street Corn Soup
Can you believe it's already September?! I'm some what sad to see the summer go but I'm so freaking excited that it's finally gonna be Fall! MY FAVORITE!
As you know from last year, I literally eat soups all day, errday in the Fall. So I'm back again with four brand new, delicious soups for you guys to make and enjoy while you're curled up on the couch, watching movies.. ALL. SEASON. LONG.
Just like most of last years soups, I found this years soups on Pinterest but in true Nina fashion... Recipe shmeshapie! I usually just read the ingredients and instructions to get a little overview and wing it from there.
I decided to make the Mexican Street Corn Soup first because it's the perfect way to transition your favorite Summer side into a hearty Fall meal! Alright, alright.. Enough blabbing, let's make some soup!
What You'll Need:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups of corn (about 8-10 ears)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 8 cups of chicken/veggie broth
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1/4 cup Queso Fresco or Cotija (I used Queso Fresco)
- juice from 1/2 of a lime
1. Strip your corn! (Bow chicka wow wowww) (I've personally never done this before and it's actually a friggen hassle! A little tip I figured out a few ears in- grab the biggest bowl you have and put a smaller bowl upside down IN the big bowl, cut one end of the cob off so that there's a flat side, stand it up on a small bowl and start strippin' that corn) Throw all the corn, chopped onion and chopped jalapeño in your pot and sauté until the corn gets a little golden brown. Add garlic and seasonings and then remove about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of the sautéed mixture and put it to the side.
2. Add the chicken broth (make sure you scrape off all the little brown crunchies from the bottom of the pot.) Add 5 or 6 of the stripped ears of corn back to the pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
3. Remove ears of corn, add sour cream, half and half, queso and lime juice. Do a little taste test and add more seasoning if needed. Add the mixture to a blender (a few scoops at a time) and blend until smooth and pour back in the pot.
4. Mangia time! At this point, you can either throw the corn/onion/jalapeño mixture back into the soup or put your soup into bowls and use the mixture as a garnish like I did. It all depends on how fancy you're feeling. Which ever way you do it, finish it by throwing a little extra queso fresco and chili powder on top and you are set!
Ugh, this was deeeelish. As you know if you're an avid Noted Nina the Podcast listener, I'm on the road to a healthier lifestyle... but honey still wants to enjoy some Mexican Street Corn Soup man! So I made a few alterations (low fat sour cream and half & half) and this recipe is only 6 points for about 1 1/2 cups on my Weight Watchers plan (makes about 6 servings).
I will definitely be making this soup again this Fall/Winter. I'm so excited for you guys to try it and let me know what you think! Keep an eye out for the other September Soups but in the mean time check out last years!
Enjoy babes! Until next time!